First Trimester Extra Credit
Please wait until October to begin Extra Credit Assignments.
1. Book Analysis: Write a 2 page analysis of a book that you are currently reading and completing. Your book analysis will describe the author's point of view, the plot structure, how the author builds suspense, the most suspenseful part of the book, and whether or not you would recommend this book to a friend.
2. Research and Writing: Like the author from "In the Spotlight", research a specific phobia that you find interesting. Write a 2 page analysis of this phobia. Include a description of the phobia, examples of how people react when they have this phobia, suggestions on how to overcome this phobia, and other interesting facts. You must cite your work.
3. Social Studies: Write a narrative about a person from one of the time periods that we have been studying. You could be an early hunter/gatherer, a farmer, or a person from one of the early Sumerian city-states or ancient Egypt. Please refer to your "Writing a Narrative Organizer" to structure a good plot. You can write in first person point of view or third person limited. Your character must have a main conflict and you must follow a traditional plot structure. Create your own events (reference your Social Studies book for historical examples) and include the thoughts and feelings of your main character as he/she attempts to resolve his/her conflict during this time period.
Turning in Your Work
Since all these assignments are extra credit, you will need to edit and proofread your work on your own. You may ask friends or adults to read over your work and give suggestions.
All work must be in Font Arial, Size 12. Double Spaced.
You must include your name and student number on the assignment.
Print your work at home or at our school's computer lab.
Turn in your work by the first week of November.
Second Trimester Extra Credit
1. Reading and Writing: Pick up an extra credit reading packet from Mrs. Tsai. Read the two paired passages carefully. The two articles explore the advantages and disadvantages of using corn as an alternative energy source. When finished, you will write an argumentative essay explaining whether or not you think corn would be a good alternative energy source. You must present a claim, two reasons supported with evidence, counter argument(s), and a concluding paragraph. Due: February 14th.
2. Social Studies-Chronicaling the Split: The Kingdom of Israel split into two parts-Israel and Judah- after a rebellion of the northern tribes. The tribes did not agree with the plans Rehoboam had for Israel, and the tribes also thought that Rehoboam had shown favoritism to his tribe of Judah. Write an imaginary newspaper article for the day after the northern tribes rebelled. The article should be factually based and should attempt to answer the questions WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY, and HOW. Reference your Social Studies text book and do additional research to include interesting and factual details. You can choose to write the article from one of two points of view- either that of a northern tribe or a tribe still loyal to Rehoboam. Due: February 14th